State of the Organization is a continuing series of daily updates on the happenings of your favorite Chicago sports teams: Cubs, White Sox, Bulls, Blackhawks and Bears. Each team with its own update space.
This space will provide some of the highlights of what has been going on with your favorite Chicago baseball team, the Chicago Cubs, in the past 24 hours. Acquisitions, injuries, performance updates and storylines will be provided, during the season including the team’s competitive status, both big and minor league.
Stories of the Day:
- The Internet continues to blow up over Addison Russell’s catch from the other night:
- Why have the Cubs been so good? Their starting rotation has been historically good.
- The Cubs are getting healthy. John Lackey and Hector Rondon are set to return in the next couple of days as Chris Coughlan and Joe Smith both returned last night.
- This should assist Joe Maddon in finally figuring out the bullpen.
- Pedro Strop, however, suffered a setback.
- Jason Heyward is finally arriving for the playoffs as well.
- What did we learn about the Cubs in August?
- The Cubs took the opening game of their series against the Giants 5-4. Game 2 is this afternoon at 2:20pm ET.
Record and Advanced Stats (provided by FanGraphs):
- Record: 86-47
- Last 10: 8-2
- Games behind division leader: 0
- Probability of winning the division: 100.0%
- Probability of winning NLDS: 60.2%
- Probability of winning NLCS: 33.5%
- Probability of winning the World Series: 19.5%